Rideshare Accident Attorneys
If I am involved in a rideshare car accident, what steps should I take?
Ridesharing is one of the most popular ways people travel locally. More than ever, people get around by opening the Lyft or Uber app to request a pick-up. In the U.S., it is there are estimated to be over one million Uber drivers and over 1.4 million Lyft drivers. Unfortunately, the requirements for becoming a ridesharing driver are not all that strict. Drivers must meet minimum age requirements and have a certain amount of driving experience. Additionally, drivers must have a valid license, an eligible vehicle, insurance coverage, a clean driving record, and a clear criminal background. Since most ridesharing companies do not have specialized testing or training for their drivers, accidents involving these services happen. If you sustain bodily injury or personal property damage in an Uber accident or Lyft accident as a passenger or as a driver of another car, you should contact a personal injury law firm with experience in accidents with rideshare companies.
Rideshare companies typically carry additional liability insurance to supplement the car insurance that their drivers have. These companies also require proof of insurance coverage for their drivers. This extra coverage is there to protect motorists that may be involved in accidents with rideshare drivers and provide protection to passengers who suffer injuries during an auto accident. This extra coverage also helps ensure that no drivers for these companies are uninsured regardless of their personal insurance coverage.
If you are a Rideshare Passenger
For ridesharing passengers, such as Lyft and Uber passengers, insurance can cover any injury they sustain. However, passengers must file an injury claim with the ridesharing company’s insurance carrier. A properly filed claim can cover all medical expenses and medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and personal property damage. At the time of the accident, make sure that you seek medical attention right away if you are injured. After an accident, pay attention to your symptoms – sometimes serious injuries can take days to show up. Soft tissue damage, head trauma, and injuries may not always seem like they need medical treatment immediately. After an accident, if you experience a headache, back pain, muscle pain, or other concerning pain, set up an appointment with your doctor.
At the scene of the accident, there are a few important things to note. First of all, do not tell anyone that you are “fine” – as stated above, injuries from accidents can take time to manifest. If you report to a driver or a police officer filling out a police report that you feel fine, the insurance company will use that statement to avoid their responsibility to you. Next, collect information from the rideshare driver such as their contact information, their company’s contact information, their vehicle make and model, and their license plate. If you can, take pictures of the accident scene, any vehicles involved, and other contributing factors to the accident. If there was another driver involved in the accident, you should request their contact information and personal auto insurance information. You should also report the accident through the ridesharing app immediately.
If you are a Motorist Involved a Rideshare Accident
Drivers are all too familiar with seeing rideshare drivers checking ride requests and pick-up locations on their phones rather than paying attention to what is on the road. If you are in an accident with a rideshare driver, you can seek compensation for damage to your motor vehicle or other personal property damage, as well as all medical expenses and pain and suffering. After an accident, collect all of the driver’s information, such as their name, phone number, personal insurance coverage, ridesharing insurance policy information, and document the scene thoroughly. As always, if you are injured, seek medical attention immediately.
If you are a Ridesharing Driver and Someone Else was at Fault
In some cases, rideshare drivers may be in accidents where someone else is determined to be at fault. In these cases, it is important for drivers to know that the insurance provided by the ridesharing company can also help the driver make a claim.
Why Choose Dross Berman for your Uber and Lyft Accident Claim?
Having a car accident lawyer who knows how to handle a Lyft or Uber Accident Claim can help you navigate the claims process. These car accident cases can be more complicated than a typical car accident as there are multiple insurance companies involved, different issues with at-fault drivers, issues of ridesharing drivers being independent contractors, and extra liability coverage these drivers carry. At Dross Berman, we have personal injury lawyers who are here to help you recover as much as possible after your accident. As your Lyft or Uber accident lawyer, we will handle your insurance claim properly and always aim to get you the best compensation possible.
We work on a contingency basis, so we don’t get paid if you don’t get paid! Contact us today!
Contact the Experienced Rideshare Injury Attorneys at Dross Berman
Whether you are a passenger of a ridesharing vehicle or another driver on the road, you should contact the personal injury attorneys at Dross Berman to schedule a free consultation right away.
Steps Your Rideshare Accident Attorney Will Take After an Accident
- Initial Consultation and Case Evaluation: The attorney will meet with the client to discuss the accident’s specifics, understand their injuries, and gather initial evidence. They will evaluate the merits of the case based on this information.
- Investigation of the Accident: The attorney will initiate a thorough investigation into the accident. They’ll collect evidence like traffic camera footage, witness testimonies, police reports, and medical records. They may also enlist experts to reconstruct the accident scene or to provide a medical prognosis for future care needs.
- Identifying Responsible Parties: In a rideshare accident, several parties could be liable, including the rideshare driver, the rideshare company, other drivers involved in the accident, or even vehicle manufacturers if a defect contributed to the accident. The attorney will identify all potential defendants to maximize the client’s compensation.
- Filing Claims and Managing Communications: The attorney will file all necessary insurance claims on the client’s behalf. This includes claims with the client’s own insurance company, the rideshare company’s insurer, and any other insurers representing other parties involved in the accident. They will handle all communication with these companies, protecting the client from potentially damaging statements.
- Negotiating Settlements: After determining the value of the client’s claim, the attorney will negotiate with the insurers and other parties to reach a fair settlement. This includes compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and other losses related to the accident.
- Representation in Court: If a fair settlement can’t be reached, the attorney will prepare to take the case to court. They’ll handle all aspects of the trial, from filing the lawsuit to presenting evidence and arguments, with the goal of achieving the best possible outcome for the client.